February 2026 - The Journey Begins
On 5 February 2026, three days after my 36th birthday, I had an appointment with the Breast Clinic at Ninewells Hospital. I had no idea what to expect but the staff were amazing, so warm and professional, they put me right at ease. First of all I had an ultrasound on my breast, and as the Radiographer was looking at the lump on the screen she said it looked like a fat necrosis, a benign lump that can sometimes appear after a small injury. However she asked me if I'd injured the area recently and when I said I hadn't, she decided to do a biopsy to be on the safe side. They then numbed me up and took two samples (ouch) to send away, and that was it.
![]() |
| The bruise on the bottom of my breast after the first biopsy! |
2 weeks later, on 18 February 2026, my results were in. We headed in to see my surgeon, Mr Pitsinis, to see what he had to say. I had a gut feeling that it was going to turn out to be more than a fat necrosis, particularly after having to go in for a face to face appointment.
Mr Pitsinis then explained that the samples had unfortunately come back positive. I had a Grade 3 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, which was hormone receptor positive and HER2 negative. So that was a bit of a shock! My main memory of that appointment was how Shaun said he couldn't believe how calm I was when we were told the news and that I just sat there drinking my coffee like we were having a chat!
Mr Pitsinis then explained that I would need to come back for a mammogram and a second ultrasound but if they came back clear then the plan would be a simple lumpectomy and some Radiotherapy. Spoiler alert: they did not come back clear...

Comments
Post a Comment